Friday, June 13, 2014

Cosby and her daughter Bella
This time in Gilroy, California. 

It was approximately 3 weeks ago that Diane rushed her two Newfoundlands and two Shiba Inus to the vet. Unfortunately, intensive treatment was not started immediately.

Bella getting her Championship
Crosby, the mother was just a few months away from becoming a veteran and her daughter, Bella was but one point away from her Grand Championship. Bella was Diane's first bred by Champion....but more importantly they were family. I am so sad to say two beautiful Newfoundlands....a mother and daughter lost their fight. The Shiba Inus were gravely ill but survived. It is thought they must have eaten less of the mushrooms.

Death Angel
It is not known if it was a Death Cap or Death Angels, but the necropsy reports came back showing liver failure due to amatoxins. We all think its so can there be mushrooms now? But we need to remember, people are watering their lawns and gardens. In the San Francisco Bay Area, Death Caps can be found at all times of the year. Though they are most abundant during the fall and early winter rainy season, the can also appear through late spring and even during rainless summers in areas of coastal fog drip or in stands of irrigated oaks.


After losing Donato, I pledged to make his life help others... my goal has been to spread the word so others would not suffer.... to educate both pet owners and veterinarians. I'm saddened to say another has joined the cause. Now, Diane is also  doing everything she can to warn others and figure a way to keep our loved ones safe in memory of her girls.

Our suggestion....patrol your yard even during these dry months. Pick, bag and throw out the mushrooms.  AND...the next time you go to your vet, ask them if you came in with a dog who had just eaten a mushroom. What would they do?  How aggressive would the treatment be? The most promising treatment for mushroom toxicity is intravenous Silibinin, a derivative of milk thistle. Silibinin dihydrogen given in injectable form has been shown to increase survival rates in some human patients, but is not yet available in the US. The oral form of this compound, which is derived from milk thistle, may have similar properties but is less bioavailable in patients that are vomiting and dehydrated from systemic mushroom poisoning. Still, therapy with silymarin may provide the liver with the support needed to outlast the deathcap toxins.

Below is a link to a great article on treatment to share with your vet.

Amazing as it seems both my Donato and Diane's dogs did not have aggressive treatment when we brought them to the vet. I went to a 24 hour emergency hospital. Diane went to an emergency/upper level hospital.  One would think that both of these places would know the treatment for mushroom toxicity. When I brought Donato in, I even had the vulva cup of the DeathCap and showed it to the vet....and still they did not treatment aggressively. Would it have changed the outcome?  I'll never know. But if I knew then, what I knew now I would have demanded the treatment or have gone to another hospital.

REMEMBER: The first 24 hours are critical...
it can be the difference between life and death.

Pick mushrooms, 
Bag them and Throw them out...
And DON'T let your dog see you digging them up, 
for it will only peak his interests.